It’s done! I started this quilt two years ago, hooked on the cover quilt of Elizabeth Hartman’s book, Modern Patchwork. I just couldn’t figure out how it was constructed, so I bought the book to follow the pattern. I think the techniques I learned from it have helped in designing other quilts, especially my current project. As much as I like to figure things out on my own, I think it’s also valuable to be taught a new technique or skill, whether from a class or a pattern. Then, you can change it or incorporate it into your own designs. My mom always says that you should follow the recipe the first time, then you can change it to suit your tastes after that.
|There's snow in those clouds|
At the time I started, mint was the new colour of the season and I was hooked on it too. I’m glad it wasn’t a passing trend, as it’s going to be going on my bed for this upcoming spring. We may have sprung our clocks ahead last night, but nature hasn’t gotten the memo. I remember spending hours online and in the store looking at colours and fabrics, ending up with fabrics from many different fabric lines and three shops, I think. I wanted primarily mint and grey, with a pop of colour, so I figured out a ratio and ended up with pink and blue and that white crosshatch that looked grey online, but ended up working anyway.
I didn’t follow the pattern exactly, as I wanted the hexagons to be slightly different, without the triangle slice, and I wanted it to fit my double bed. To save cutting out all those triangles when I was going to have a full hexagon anyway, I was introduced to the Hex n’ More ruler. It was a LOT of cutting, 242 half hexagons. Because I was cutting them separately, I had to attach all of that 1” sashing to the top of each hexagon separately, pressing and trimming to size. Which explains why it took me two years to finish! I lost interest and set it aside. I was working on my Camera Quilt at the time and was more exited about it.
I finally pulled it back out this summer, intent on finishing it before I was allowed to start a new project. I think my other quilts have taught me patience, as it didn’t seem nearly as slow this time around. It did still take me about an hour to put a row together, though. I was originally going to make the giant pieced hexagon for the back, but by the time I was finished piecing the front, I went with a solid back – Kona in Aloe I believe, which Sue happened to have it in at the quilt shop. Then I added myself to the waiting list for long arm quilting.
Jennifer did an amazing job quilting it, with different designs in the hexagons and lines in the sashing. On the back, it looks like one flawless design.
I had a big piece of the grey Zen Chic fabric but not quite enough, so I pulled out the other greys and the white and had just enough for the binding. I kind of hate hand sewing, as nice as it looks, so I usually machine stich my bindings with a straight stich. I went for a zigzag this time, which mostly worked out for me, though I’d probably make some adjustments if I were using a zigzag again.
|no family resemblance at all|
Taking pictures proved difficult once again. I had no volunteers to hold the quilt up at home, so I headed to Grandma and Grandpa’s down the road to borrow their clothesline. Only the wind was so strong, it popped all of the clothespins off. So I ended up standing on the playhouse once more, laying the quilt on the snow. Grandma and I realized too late that the snow was higher than our boots! I can’t wait till it warms up, the snow melts and the ice breaks up in the lakes. Until then, my quilt is ready and waiting for spring.