Monday 28 July 2014

St. Andrew’s Medallion Quilt


Apparently I was experiencing a brief moment of not feeling too busy a few months ago over the March Break, when my grandma stopped by my house. She told me she was going to a meeting at the church later to discuss prizes for the Thanksgiving Raffle. I jokingly asked if they needed my advice and she said yes! I said that I guessed, if they didn’t need it too soon, I could maybe make a quilt. She quickly offered to pick me up later and take me to the meeting – I think she was afraid I would come to my senses and back out.

I had been admiring some medallion quilts on Pinterest, so I started sketching out some block patterns and designed a quilt. I managed to time it well with a big sale at my local quilt shop and ended up with some blue weave prints, one of my favourite green prints and a solid yellow. They even had a marbled blue extra-wide backing fabric that matched nicely.

I started with the centre block:



My centre block ended up a little too big, as did my flying geese, so as I went I tweaked the pattern to make everything fit. 


It was my first time making flying geese and I was happy with how they turned out.


I added a few borders at a time and it was nice to see it grow from the middle and kind of look like a real quilt early on, rather than random blocks and bits of fabric.


The parallelogram border took a while.



Once the top was finished, I asked for advice on how to quilt it myself but the quilting instructors talked me out of it. I decided to save myself many hours and the challenge of a 90-inch quilt and have a long-arm quilter do it. I’ll practice my quilting on smaller quilts to start.

I had her do an all-over quilting pattern and I bound it with the lighter blue.  



I'm a little sad to see it go. I may have to buy a raffle ticket!





11 comments:

  1. WOW! this is a really fabulous medallion quilt!! I just love that you used only three colors so effectively!! Beautifully done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like it when quilts aren't too "busy"

      Delete
  2. How pretty this is. I can see it will be hard to part with - so good of you to give it away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope someone I know wins it :)

      Delete
  3. What an adorable quilt. I really love it.

    Viktoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. This medallion is stunning! I love your use of all solids and that parallelogram border is mind-bogglingly fantastic! I love seeing new blocks on medallions that I haven't seen before. Yours is amazing. I am sure it will fetch a high price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The green and blues are actually prints, but near-solids. Those parallelograms were tricky! ha

      Delete
  5. What lovely borders! They make this quilt very special. Beautiful colors, too. Congratulations on your design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Brianna, I'm back :) I wanted to thank you for visiting and commenting on my blog :) I couldn't reply back because you are a no reply blogger. Google+ does that. If you do a google search you can find many tutorials out there to fix it. :) I wasn't able to find your email anywhere so decided to leave another comment on your blog - feel free to delete it if you wish :) Thank you for your kind words and I might just have to do a medallion with no pattern. . . seems to be how I roll LOL Judy@Quiltparadigm

    ReplyDelete