Sunday 30 November 2014

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care

I was commissioned to make a few stockings, with the only stipulation that one of them be red. So I used a pattern I made last year and sewed a couple up. I used a vibrant red crackle and a navy and silver fabric called winter's grandeur.



 I cut the toe, heel and cuff from white fabric. The toe is pieced to the patterned fabric. The heel is double layered, sewn right rides together and then topstitched onto the heel. The cuff is in two pieces, sewn lengthwise right sides together, then folded over. It serves as both the lining and the outside.






I added the toe and the heel to both sides of the stocking, then sewed the lining.

The lining is made with white fabric as well. It would make more sense to have cut it in one piece, but I had already cut two extra toes out. I just sewed it right sides together.


I traced the stocking onto batting and basted a layer onto the wrong side of the both of the stocking pieces. Then I sewed the two pieces right sides together.

I stuffed the lining into the stocking. Then I took the cuff piece, sewn into a tube, and tucked it into the stocking with the right side facing the lining. I sewed around the top and pulled it out, folding it over. Then I tucked it in 1/2 inch and topstitched, attaching it to the patterned part of the stocking.



I folded the cuff of the stocking down, but it looks good unfolded as well. 




Ready in plenty of time for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment