Wednesday 19 November 2014

Tornado

I write this post in the middle of a blizzard but I designed this quilt in the middle of a tornado.



Early in the fall I arrived home from work one Friday night to a power outage and the threat of a storm.  I sat by the window with a pencil and some graph paper, using the last of the daylight and then a flashlight to sketch some designs. As I was sketching, we got a phone call saying the roof had blown off of the field house at the local baseball diamond and later learned an F1 tornado had passed within about 300 m of our house, tearing apart our neighbour's barn. I joked that I would name the quilt tornado then decided that the pattern did evoke a sort of swirling motion, with pieces coming apart from the centre block. So Tornado it is.

I designed the quilt around the Color Me Happy line, as I had a fat quarter bundle that needed a project. I loved the blues in the line but wanted blue to be the dominant colour, so used Kona Navy as the background and picked out greens, grey, pink and whites prints. I ended up using only 7 fat quarters and still had pieces of those left over.

The quilt is mostly comprised of flying geese blocks with some parallelograms and a few half-square triangles, along with lots of 3 1/2 inch strips cut into various sized rectangles. It came together quickly.

I cut and sewed the flying geese units, parallelogram units and half-square triangle units first.





Then I started in the centre and worked my way out.







I sewed the outside flying geese in blocks before adding the half-square triangle corner blocks.


I was playing a bit and thought two flying geese blocks together might make a fun baby quilt.



 I'm happy with how it turned out! It's funny to see a sketch come to life. I like the way the prints pop against the navy background and the clean lines, creating order in the chaos. The quilt measures 90 x 90, so it'll fit a bed.


I was having a hard time taking pictures, as it was getting dark, I had to lay it on the snow and the wind kept blowing the outside border. My fingers were freezing!





I plan on writing a pattern for this one. I think it's a good way to showcase some favourite prints without using too much fabric. I think it would also look good pieced with only two colours. Next I'll have to decide how to quilt it. Personally, I think it's begging for some custom quilting, but we'll see...

Updated:

We had a thaw and I managed to take some better pictures, despite the gloomy sky.



For the free pattern, see this post: Tornado Quilt Pattern

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this top!! Wowsers! I agree - it is begging for some custom quilting! Can't wait to see how you finish this one :)

    Having something go from sketch to fabric feels SO good! Especially when the results are as amazing as this! I'm not really a follow a pattern kind of girl - but if you wrote one for this - I'd be all in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! I'm just starting to work on my machine quilting with smaller quilts, so I've added myself to my local longarm quilter's waiting list!

      I'm with you on following patterns :)

      Delete
  2. I'm in LOVE with this! I'd love to make it with some of V and Co's ombre fabrics!!! Soooo when did you say the pattern is coming out ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! Oh, that would be cool! Hopefully I'll work on it over Christmas Break :)

      Delete