Tuesday 13 October 2015

Charming is a Plus Baby Quilt

I finished a baby quilt last weekend using Anita of Daydreams of Quilts' pattern, "Being Charming is a Plus." Her pattern includes clear instructions with diagrams and options for many sizes. You can make it with all charm squares, or a combination of charm squares and yardage. You can find it in her Payhip, Craftsy or Etsy shop.


I opted to use a charm pack of Kate Spain's Paradiso and some Robert Kaufman chambray in Indigo. You may notice that it's the same combination I used to make my Patchwork Bench. The pattern was quick and easy to put together and I was able to chain piece at almost every step. It was a satisfying project!

I backed the quilt with some blue and white flannel I bought on sale. I decided on some simple straight-line quilting and echoed inside and outside the plus shapes. Then I traced some squares onto the intersections of the blocks to make a quick diamond shape there. The binding is a ombre stripe from V&Co's Color Me Happy Line. I love how well it matches the colours in the quilt.


I'm planning on making another one in different colours, as I have a couple friends expecting babies and I'm not sure of their genders. As much as I like to say that there are no "boy colours" or "girl colours", society has trained us to think of pink and floral as feminine. I'd also like to make a fall table runner with 3 blocks in oranges and mustard yellows and reds, maybe. I'm going to be a vendor at a craft sale in December, so I've got a lot of other projects on the go and ideas spinning around, so we'll have to see.





Happy sewing!

3 comments:

  1. Love this little quilt. There is just something about a turquoise and pink color combo that just warms my heart. The scrappy pink binding just adds to the fun. And sometimes you just need a quick easy finish, it's good for the quilting soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great quilt. Love the chambray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really beautiful quilt. The chambray really sets of the plus blocks. This a very nice colours for a baby quilt that will grow with the baby.

    ReplyDelete